PEN America is offering a Summer Free Speech Advocacy Institute for high school students entering grades 10-12, and another for rising and current college students. Each track will offer a crash course in combating major threats to free speech, such as censorship, harassment, and disinformation. The Institute will equip students to become forceful advocates for free speech and civil liberties, on campus and beyond.
Session Topics include:
- The First Amendment and Its Limitations
- Free Expression in Retreat Worldwide
- Inequality, Injustice, and the Power of Speech
- Protest, Civil Disobedience, and Civic Engagement
- Press Freedom and Local News in the Age of Trump
- Defending Artistic Freedom
- Disinformation and the Fight for Truth Online
- Campus For All: Academic Freedom and the University
- Counter-Speech: Speaking Out Against Hate
The online program runs from July 20, 2020 – July 31, 2020, from 1 pm to 5 pm EDT. The cost is $1,000 – full and partial scholarships are available. Students can apply to the program here, and the financial application is here. Students who successfully complete the program will be granted a certificate of professional achievement in free speech advocacy from PEN America.
The deadline to apply is June 23, 2020.